RE: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

Date forwarded: 	Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:03:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	"James Benedict" <grunt@nortelnetworks.com>
To:             	mcs@netscape.com, d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Copies to:      	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject:        	RE: Returning single values from multivalued attributes
Date sent:      	Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:01:11 -0400
Forwarded by:   	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

> I think "families of entries" kind of overlaps this problem space.

It kind of does, but they do have different purposes. Families are
designed for grouping together single (or few) values from several
multivalued attributes, into one child entry. Returning matched values
on the other hand is simply an extra way of filtering a result. It will
apply equally to families and single entries.

> I think we can
> minimize the work (and concentrate design effort), by folding the two
> together.  At the very least, we need to consider how these two features
> will work together.
>
> That's a good question:  Since X.500 already has matchedValuesOnly and
> will be extended to include entry families, what sort of return set should
> I expect when both families and matchedValuesOnly are involved?

I see them as separate features with different purposes,
that can work together or separately without purturbing each other.

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
*NEW* Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk *NEW*
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J