Re: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

Date sent:      	Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:03:17 -0700
From:           	dboreham@netscape.com (David Boreham)
To:             	Helmut Volpers <helmut.volpers@icn.siemens.de>
Copies to:      	Mark C Smith <mcs@netscape.com>, d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk,
 	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject:        	Re: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

> Helmut Volpers wrote:
>

> > > I find it surprising and confusing that the behavior is different when
> > > an attribute has multiple values vs. when it only has one.
> >
> > I didn't follow the complete discusion but what is surprising ?
> > When I have a single valued attribute I don't need a matchedValuesOnly
> > because if it match you get it back and need no additional flag.
>
> I think the problem is that you might not know in advance whether it's
> single or multi-valued.

Irrelevant in my opinion. What the user is saying is "give me this
value only and ignore the rest". If there is only a single value then
the ignored values are none. But the user gets what he wanted
independent of the number of actual values there are

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
*NEW* Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk *NEW*
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J