RE: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

I think "families of entries" kind of overlaps this problem space.

I agree that when we have a small small number of values in a multi-valued
attribute,
the benifit of matchedValuesOnly is small. I also agree that having a large
number of values in a single entry is likely the result of a bad information
model... unfortunately, there are many bad information models out there.

I think that entry families cover this quite well.  If we break the
offending attributes up into familie entries, then matchedValuesOnly will be
the default (returning the DN of then family entry).  Returning all values
will be a little more interesting, but I assume
David Chadwick already has this covered in the "Families" draft.  I think
that both of these extensions (families & matchedValuesOnly) will require
some substantial changes on both the client and server side.  I think we can
minimize the work (and concentrate design effort), by folding the two
together.  At the very least, we need to consider how these two features
will work together.

That's a good question:  Since X.500 already has matchedValuesOnly and will
be extended to include entry families, what sort of return set should I
expect when both families and matchedValuesOnly are involved?