Re: (c.harding 30612) RE: (c.harding 30479) RE: (c.harding 30393) Re: Tw bobs worth on TOP, LDAP standards process and subschemasub entry attribute usage in rootDSE

Dear Alan,

I agree that the more things you can test, the better. The trouble is
that it is impossible to test everything, and the more thorough the
tests are, the more expensive they are to produce. That is why there
must be a commitment to conform even to those parts of the standards
that are not tested!

>Chris - thanks for that. Its just that testing, which I am always for,
>sometimes misses the real mark because it is only based on protocols and
>PICS etc.
>
>eg. Our brilliant distributed directory service ( :-) ) can, in each DSA
>support (theoretically) attribute values of 16k * 128mb, 16k attribute
>values per attribute, 16k attributes per entry and 4.25 billion entries
>per DSA and NNNN DSAs can interconnect.
> And we have seen some "LDAP servers" explode when adding entries with
>attribute values of over 10 mb.
>
>So a real operational test would be read a massive entry from one server
>and write it to another via LDAP.
>
>Other tests like unplugging the power during updates also shows up a few
>issues.
>
>IMHO Operational compatability tests should be included in the test/
>conformance suite as it is this area that determines a product or just a
>flimsy-theoretical protocol only implementation.
>
>regards alan

>From: Chris Harding

Regards,

Chris