Re: (c.harding 30612) RE: (c.harding 30479) RE: (c.harding 30393) Re: Tw bobs worth on TOP, LDAP standards process and subsch

Date forwarded: 	Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent:      	Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:28:21 +0100
To:             	Alan Lloyd <Alan.Lloyd@opendirectory.com.au>
From:           	Chris Harding <c.harding@opengroup.org>
Subject:        	Re: (c.harding 30612) RE: (c.harding 30479) RE: (c.harding
 	30393) Re: Tw bobs worth on TOP, LDAP standards process and
 	subschemasub entry attribute usage in rootDSE
Copies to:      	"'''ietf-ldapext@netscape.com ' ' '" <ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>,
 	"''directory@opengroup.org ' '" <directory@opengroup.org>,
 	"''Mark Wahl ' '" <M.Wahl@INNOSOFT.COM>,
 	"''d.w.chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk ' '" <d.w.chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk>
Forwarded by:   	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

> Dear Alan,
>
> I agree that the more things you can test, the better. The trouble is that
> it is impossible to test everything, and the more thorough the tests are,
> the more expensive they are to produce. That is why there must be a
> commitment to conform even to those parts of the standards that are not
> tested!

Chris, Alan
Are you aware of the 500plus tests that we created for DSAs as part
of the EC PT20 project. This was a pretty complete test suite, and a
subset of this could be used for LDAP just as well as for DAP. SO
the tests have already been created on paper.
David

> [...]
> > And we have seen some "LDAP servers" explode when adding entries with
> >attribute values of over 10 mb.
> >
> >So a real operational test would be read a massive entry from one server
> >and write it to another via LDAP.
> >
> >Other tests like unplugging the power during updates also shows up a few
> >issues.
> >
> >IMHO Operational compatability tests should be included in the test/
> >conformance suite as it is this area that determines a product or just a
> >flimsy-theoretical protocol only implementation.
> >
> >regards alan
> >
> >----------
> >From: Chris Harding
> >To: Alan Lloyd
> >Cc: ''ietf-ldapext@netscape.com ' '; 'directory@opengroup.org '; 'Mark
> >Wahl '; 'd.w.chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk ' Sent: 7/15/99 4:44:58 AM
> >Subject: Re: (c.harding 30479) RE: (c.harding 30393) Re: Tw bobs worth on
> >TOP, LDAP standards process and subschemasub entry attribute usage in
> >rootDSE
> >
> >Dear Alan,
> >
> >The strength, as well as the technical coverage, of our LDAP
> >certification scheme is something that is still to be discussed.
> >So I can only talk about how previous schemes have worked.
> >
> >The real basis on which previous Open Group conformance schemes have
> >relied is not the test suite but the vendor's commitment to conform to
> >the standards. This is actually much stronger. No test suite in practice
> >ever covers more than a fraction of the possible cases, while the
> >commitment does cover everything. The test suite is extremely valuable in
> >showing that the vendor conforms as regards the cases that it does cover,
> >but it is important that the vendor conforms as regards the other cases
> >too.
> >
> >The real issue is what standards a branded LDAP client or server
> >can inter-operate using. What is covered by the test suite is
> >secondary (but still important).
> >
> >>I hope the conformance testing goes a bit beyond that of the LDAP
> >>client-server actions of log on a read via LDAP a few common
> >attributes.
> >>This issue of corrupt TOP definitions will affect the creation of
> >>entries, what one gets back if one reads all attributes, the definition
> >>of access controls, the configuration approaches of directory
> >management
> >>clients, the definition of filters and entry information selection for
> >>searches, the relationships of attributes within and between entries
> >and
> >>of course the LDAP replicate everything to everywhere requirements
> >>(schema mapping)
> >>
> >>What will be interesting is when one LDAP server with a corrupted TOP
> >>refers to another sever with a different corruption of TOP and what the
> >>entry selection will make of it...
> >>
> >>There is nothing like an inconsistent user interface and inconsistent
> >>operations management interface caused by baseline corrupted

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
*NEW* Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk *NEW*
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J