RE: RFC2256: userPassword

>>At 10:58 AM 6/29/99 -0700, Robert Allen wrote:
>>>The argument here is that having a bunch of world
>>>readable passwords IS the same as having cleartext passwords
>>>in todays world.
>>
>>The counter argument is that userPasswords are bound to fall
>>into the wrong hands regardless of what access controls you
>>deploy.

	I don't understand this viewpoint.  For example I
	don't assume that my passords (not stored in LDAP)
	which I use to access my bank accounts, etc., will
	inevitably fall into the wrong hands.  It seems to
	me that assuming they will in our business is a
	way of bypassing having to worry about decent security.

	IMHO,

	Robert
	rja@Eng.Sun.COM