RE: RFC2256: userPassword

At 12:39 PM 6/29/99 -0700, Robert Allen wrote:

>>>The counter argument is that userPasswords are bound to fall
>>>into the wrong hands regardless of what access controls you
>>>deploy.
>
>	I don't understand this viewpoint.

Access controls is only part of a providing security and
are not immune to failure.   Minimizing the impact of access
control failures is also a valid part of overall security.
Detering attack and abuse is another part.  Another part of
security is limiting knowledge to those who need to know.

>	For example I
>	don't assume that my passords (not stored in LDAP)
>	which I use to access my bank accounts, etc., will
>	inevitably fall into the wrong hands.

I assume that all my passwords, pins, etc. will
fall into the wrong hands.

>	It seems to
>	me that assuming they will in our business is a
>	way of bypassing having to worry about decent security.

I did not intend to implied that encrypted userPassword
minimizes the need for other security measures.

Kurt