Re: Grammar nits (Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-good-ldap-ldif-04.txt])

At 07:11 26.06.99 +0200, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Harald Tveit Alvestrand writes:
> I do wish you would switch to RFC 2234 ABNF rather than RFC 822 ABNF.
> RFC 2234 is a *little* better specified - and I've got a parser for it.

How do we say "any character except NUL, CR or LF" in ABNF when we don't
know the max integer code of a character in the parser's characer set?
Assume iso10646 and say something like `%x01-09/%x0B-0C/%x0E-7FFFFFFF'?

RFC 2234 is quiet here:

2.4  External Encodings

   External representations of terminal value characters will vary
   according to constraints in the storage or transmission environment.
   Hence, the same ABNF-based grammar may have multiple external
   encodings, such as one for a 7-bit US-ASCII environment, another for
   a binary octet environment and still a different one when 16-bit
   Unicode is used.  Encoding details are beyond the scope of ABNF,
   although Appendix A (Core) provides definitions for a 7-bit US-ASCII
   environment as has been common to much of the Internet.

   By separating external encoding from the syntax, it is intended that
   alternate encoding environments can be used for the same syntax.

This actually brings out an important question:
What's the character set of an LDIF file?
Note 8 to the grammar seems to assume that the character set is UTF-8,
and the changelog says this is "clarified", but I can't find the
clarification....
The ACAP specs have chosen to represent their grammar as a grammar of
octets, meaning that the correct "high value" is 255, or 0xFF.

> About 5) Changed "0,1*xxx" "0*1xxx" in compliance with RFC822
>
> You missed one - in change-moddn.

No.  But he missed "to" in the sentence above, maybe you misunderstood.
           Change "0,1*xxx" to "0*1xxx" in...

I goofed - I was looking at version -03. Sorry.

                         Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no