Re: Constraint Violations

> RFC 2251 refers to an AttributeProblem but doesn't elaborate on it.

AttributeProblem is defined in X.511 (1993) section 12.4.

The constraint violation is returned when an attribute value supplied in the
argument of a request does not conform to the constraints imposed by X.501
or by the attribute definition (e.g. the attribute exceeds the maximum size
allowed).

>   I think none are since in RFC 2251 section 4.1.6 says that -
>   "Clients MUST NOT send attribute values in a request which are not
>   valid according to the syntax defined for the attributes."

At the time the standards were written, certain LDAPv2 clients would send
requests that were invalid according to X.520.  I wish to emphaize that this
behavior was not valid.

> 4. Where else can I find more info about errors in LDAP as defined by
>    the v3 spec?

ITU-T Rec. X.511 (1993) can be obtained from the ITU-T, ISO, your national
standards body, or a standards vendor.

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International, Inc.