Re: LDAP C API: error handling

At 02:57 PM 6/19/99 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>I would say ldap_init (just for starters) needs a
>little work as well....

>	"These routines return NULL if the session cannot be
>	initialized in which case the operating system error
>	reporting mechanism can be checked to see why the called
>	failed."

   s/"the operating system error"/"an implementation specific"/

This change doesn't help standardize error handling, but
it allows implementations to use whatever error handling
reporting mechanisms are suitable.  The "the" implied that
only one can be used or that it must be obvious to all what
that is.  In reality, there are many and the choice depends
upon the implementation.

If it's acceptable to allow for ldap_init/ldap_open error
reporting to be implementation specific, I would same
would apply to ber_*(), ldap_msg*() routines, ldap_count_*(),
ldap_*free*(), ldap_explode_*dn(), ldap_dn2ufn().

If it's not acceptable, well, we have some significant
work to do.   I do not think it's wise to undertake such
work in the haste of last call.

( BTW, how should ldap_msgid indicate error?  return -1? )