RE: Dereferencing Match draft for the repository...

| At 07:36 21.06.99 -0500, Ryan Moats wrote:
|
| >I like the idea of adding a "how to respond if you don't
| >support this extension" section to the draft.  As far as
| >interoperability beyond this, I'm not sure I understand:
| >why isn't this a binary situation (the server supports
| >the extension or not).
| There are 2 cases:
| - The function is possible to perform, but abysmally slow(?) if this
|    extension is not supported
| - The function is not possible to perform if this extension is not
|    supported
| I think any extension draft should be very clear about which category
| it fits into.

Ok. I understand now.  My opinion (of course my co-authors may
differ:-) is that a server that doesn't support this extension
falls into the second category, and should return the appropriate
error message.

Even when the function is supported, time limit and size limit still
apply.

Ryan