Constraint Violations

Hi,

1. What is the exhaustive list of conditions under which a constraint
   violation error occurs?

   I checked with the Netscape C SDK documentation and it doesn't seem
   to give very exhaustive information. The draft C api text also
   doesn't seem to give much info about this. RFC 2251 refers to an
   AttributeProblem but doesn't elaborate on it.

2. What is the semantic meaning of a constraint violation error? I am
   not very clear from the what info I could find on it.

3. Is the constraint violation signalled for Syntax violations? E.g. If
   an attribute has an Integer syntax and some non digit chars are sent.

   What errors are signalled for attribute syntax violations?

   I think none are since in RFC 2251 section 4.1.6 says that -
   "Clients MUST NOT send attribute values in a request which are not
   valid according to the syntax defined for the attributes."
   Then what is the value of specifying a syntax if all the checking
   is done by the client? Shouldn't the directory return an error?
   Isn't LDAP being too lightweight here :-)

4. Where else can I find more info about errors in LDAP as defined by
   the v3 spec?

Thanks in advance,
Shiv