Re: Beginning taxonomy for finding LDAP servers.

> At 14:21 1999-05-06 -0500, Ryan Moats wrote:
>
> >Method: Client configuration
> >
> >In this case, the client administrator configures it with a list of known
> >LDAP servers to send queries to.  This list will be right (initially),
> >but modification to the list requires client updates and doesn't scale
> >real well.
>
> I agree, it doesn't scale. Therefore this only works if there are
> a limited number of known LDAP servers that a client has to be
> configured with in order to be able to find the rest
> (or at least the majority).

I agree completely with you.
In fact, the knowledge server approach that I mentioned in a
server. This becomes the knowledge server (for the organisation). It
has simply configured all the knowlegde that was held in the
thousands of corporate clients into the one central server, thereby
minimising the effort of all of the employees. Central management of
knowledge as opposed to each individual managing his own
knowledge.

The clients then only need to know about 1 LDAP server, that of the
corporate directory.

Extension of this idea, leads to having a knowledge server on the
Internet that can be used by lots of organisations, and is pointed to
by each organisation server. I believe that DANTE are hoping to
build such a knowledge server this year, to replace the QUipu X.500
root server that they have at the moment.

David#

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
*NEW* Mobile +44 790 167 0359 *NEW*
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J