Re: Beginning taxonomy for finding LDAP servers.

At 14:21 1999-05-06 -0500, Ryan Moats wrote:

>Method: Client configuration
>
>In this case, the client administrator configures it with a list of known
>LDAP servers
>to send queries to.  This list will be right (initially), but modification
>to the list
>requires client updates and doesn't scale real well.

I agree, it doesn't scale. Therefore this only works if there are
a limited number of known LDAP servers that a client has to be
configured with in order to be able to find the rest
(or at least the majority).

Here in Norway, if everything works out as planed, we are going to
put up a service which is going to contain basic information about
every organization in Norway and if any of these organizations wants
to publish more information about them self, through a publicly available
LDAP server, a referral to that server will be stored in the central
server/-s. Hence, potentially, you would only have to know about one
or two LDAP servers, the second being the backup, i Norway in order
to find every publicly available LDAP server in Norway.

Worth noting is that we don't have to put any contraints on the
DNs of the connected LDAP servers. Even though we are going to
mandate the usage of one of:

- the classical o=foo, c=no
- the dc-naming dc=foo,dc=<TLD>
- the guaranteed unique uniqueIdentifier=<organizationNumber>,c=NO

And, we only deal with public information, hence no problems with
access control.

-- Roland