RE: Beginning taxonomy for finding LDAP servers.

> Well, yes there are sub-approaches, and so I would modify that portion of
> the taxonomy to be:
>
> Method: Referrals
>
> In LDAPv3, servers can return referrals to the client if the server has
> knowledge of where a query might be satisfiable.  Two ways of deploying
> referral information are deploying an LDAP knowledge server or exchanging
> CIP index objects between servers. An LDAP knowledge server would hold
> cross references to possibly hundreds of other LDAP servers, so that a
> client would only need to know about its local LDAP server and the
> knowledge server.

As pointed out in my other message, the local LDAP server can also
act as a knowledge server for the organisation, so that clients only
need to point to their own corporate server.

David

> If CIP index objects are exchanged between LDAP
> servers, then those objects can also carry URL information for providing
> referalls to clients. In this case, the client would only need to know
> about the local server. In both cases, the local server could be
> discovered by one of the previous methods discussed.
>
> Hopefully, this addresses both methods.
>
> Ryan

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
*NEW* Mobile +44 790 167 0359 *NEW*
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J