Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-00.txt

David Boreham wrote:
Erik Skovgaard wrote:
One major beef I have with your document is the rather casual use of
directory terminology.  What you are trying to address is the multi-valued
attributes, not multiple entries.  An Entry in the Directory is the
Are you sure ?
instantiation of an Object Class complete with all the attributes that
describe the instantiated object.
Certainly, and this isn't at odds with the document, I don't think.

Seems to me that the document deals with the server returning
multiple duplicate _entries_. Indeed it does this as a consequence
of those entries having multiple values for some attribute, but
I disagree with your analysis that this requires a different title
and that the issue is multi-valued attributes per se.

To me your suggested title is a backward step in terms
of relevance to the content.

Anyway, how about some discussion about the content
rather than the title of the document ?

Who think's it's a good/bad idea ?
Why ?

It wouldn't be hard for us to implement, so I
can't object on those grounds. It seems to be
genuinely useful to some classes of client.

What is the rationale for wanting the server to do this.  Should this probably be a client side issue (like you pointed out).  Probabaly an API option to facilitate those clients who might need this convenience?

Thanks!