Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-00.txt

Jim,

Oh well, late is better than not at all :-)

I can see how this can be useful and we should keep this in mind together
with the prosal for making multiple attribute values a SEQUENCE rather than
a SET.

One major beef I have with your document is the rather casual use of
directory terminology.  What you are trying to address is the multi-valued
attributes, not multiple entries.  An Entry in the Directory is the
instantiation of an Object Class complete with all the attributes that
describe the instantiated object.

I would suggest calling the paper: "LDAP Control for Handling Attributes
with Multiple Values Returned in Search Results".  Or perhaps just: "LDAP
Control for Handling Attributes with Multiple Values".

Cheers,                    ....Erik.

-----------------------------------
Erik Skovgaard
GeoTrain Corp.
Directory Engineering Services
http://www.geotrain.com

At 10:11 98/11/25 -0700, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>(my sad, sad  story) I was so proud of myself last Wednesday, putting all
that time into making sure the draft I submitted looked ok.  In a rush, I
submitted right before the bell, then, looking at what I sent, dread filled
my lower regions while sweat beaded up higher.  I (carefully this time)
re-submitted the 'correct' draft but got a reply, nicely explaining that I
was a slacker and it was too late to accept any more drafts.  So, it looks
like the really ugly one made it.  Here's the nicer looking one (with real
page numbers and slightly more understandable language).  The ASN.1 of the
controls are the same, it's just (hopefully) more readable.

>I sent word to the draft publisher in hopes that she will help me out.
>
>Sorry for the confuzlement
>Jim

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
>This draft is a work item of the LDAP Extension Working Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: LDAP Control for a Duplicate Entry Representation of
>                          Search Results
>	Author(s)	: J. Sermersheim
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-00.txt
>	Pages		: 5
>	Date		: 24-Nov-98
>
>This document describes a Duplicate Entry Representation control
>extension for the LDAP Search operation. By using the control with an
>LDAP search, a client requests that the server return separate entries
>for each value held in the specified attributes. For instance, if a
>specified attribute of an entry holds multiple values, the search
>operation will return multiple instances of that entry, each instance
>holding a separate single value in that attribute.
>
>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-00.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts directories are located at:
>
>	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
>
>	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
>		ftp.nic.it
>
>	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
>
>	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
>
>	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.
>
>Send a message to:	mailserv@ietf.org.  In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-00.txt".
>
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>

>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>

>Attachment Converted: "d:\program
files\eudora\attach\draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-00.txt"