RE: Grouping Attributes Together

+ -----Original Message-----
+ From: David Chadwick [mailto:d.w.chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk]
+ Sent: donderdag 19 november 1998 19:53
+ To: Tim Howes
+ Cc: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
+ Subject: Re: Grouping Attributes Together
+
+ Date sent:      	Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:37:06 -0800
+ From:           	Tim Howes <howes@netscape.com>
+ To:             	d.w.chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
+ Copies to:      	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
+ Subject:        	Re: Grouping Attributes Together
+
+ > Now for a thought. As you say, the reason this is
+ > hard is that the LDAP/X.500 information model defines
+ > multi-valued attributes to be a SET of values, rather
+ > than a SEQUENCE. My thought is what would happen if
+ > we made this a SEQUENCE instead? And added an "insert
+ > after" variation or some such thing to the modify
+ > operation.
+ >
+ > I realize this is a more fundamental change, and may
+ > turn out to be a bad idea. But we should think about
+ > it before dismissing it. Comments?       -- Tim
+
+ You are right. This is a fundamental change, and it wont actually
+ solve the problem we have. This is because in general, each
+ member of the set of related attributes may not always be present.
+ Therefore there would have to be some way of knowing that value 3
+ in attribute 2 is related to value 4 in attribute 3.

I remember a proposal for attributes labels in ldap about a year ago. Could
that be a solution for grouping?

Peter Jurg