Re: Grouping Attributes Together

Date sent:      	Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:37:06 -0800
From:           	Tim Howes <howes@netscape.com>
To:             	d.w.chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Copies to:      	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject:        	Re: Grouping Attributes Together

> Now for a thought. As you say, the reason this is
> hard is that the LDAP/X.500 information model defines
> multi-valued attributes to be a SET of values, rather
> than a SEQUENCE. My thought is what would happen if
> we made this a SEQUENCE instead? And added an "insert
> after" variation or some such thing to the modify
> operation.
>
> I realize this is a more fundamental change, and may
> turn out to be a bad idea. But we should think about
> it before dismissing it. Comments?       -- Tim

You are right. This is a fundamental change, and it wont actually
solve the problem we have. This is because in general, each
member of the set of related attributes may not always be present.
Therefore there would have to be some way of knowing that value 3
in attribute 2 is related to value 4 in attribute 3.

David

David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 370 957 287
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm