Re: LDAP Schema

Given the semantics of the ldap_modify operation, deleting an objectclass
and adding the modified defintion seems like a possible way out of the
problem. One can make it atomic by chaining the modify request such that the
delete & add happens in one single operation and either the entire operation
succeeds or the all the changes in the operation are discarded.
This, of course, pushes the burden on the users/administrators to use the
right modify request.

Saurabh

"K. Senthil Kumar" wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>         I have some questions regarding Schema updatation.
>
> 1. How do I update an objectclass defination of an userdefined
> objectclass through client API? I am able to create and delete an
> operation. But for updation, with current LDAP client implementation, I
> have to delete and recreate the objectclass to incorpoate the changes.
> Problem with this approach is that if some failure occurs after
> objectclass deletion, the DSA schema will be in unstable state. I am
> looking solution that can modify the objectclass definition in an atomic
> operation.
>
> 2. why it is neccessay to specify entire objectclass hierarchy as the
> value for the attribute 'objectclass' for a directory?. (If I don't
> specify, entry will not be fetched in case filter is set to, say
> "objectclass=top".)
>
> K.Senthil Kumar.
> CA -TCG Software.
begin:vcard
n:Shrivastava;Saurabh
tel;work:650-506-6815
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Oracle Corporation
version:2.1
email;internet:sshrivas@us.oracle.com
title:Sr. Member of Technical staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;500 Oracle Parkway=0D=0A6OP643;Redwood Shores;CA;94404;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Saurabh  Shrivastava
end:vcard