RE: Abstract object class

Paul,

At 10:52 98/11/05 -0800, Paul Leach wrote:
>I agree with the problem statement. I don't agree with the proposed
>solution.
>
>There is something fundamentally conceptually wrong with the picture that
>two objects with objClass=foo have different schema. What is the objClass

I think what we are talking about here is the same Structural Object Class,
but the required attributes may change between, say entries for employees,
customers, partners and consultants/contractors.  The proper way to
implement this would be to define the appropriate Axiliary Object Classes
and by using Content Rules configure the appropriate combination of Object
Classes.

I think what Ed was pointing out (if I understood him corectly), is that
there is no formal way to publish Content Rules.

>good for if it doesn't identify the schema?

It does, but since you are likely to need a private schema for an
organization in addition to the standard schema, the current way to do this
is to define several Object Classes.

>There are a couple of ways to approach the problem that I think are better
>than having (potentially) different schema at each NC for the same class.
>
>1. Make the class be a DN. Then the engineering department and the sales
>department can create enmtries with
>objClass="CN=foo,OU=Eng,DC=SomeCorp,DC=com" and
>objClass="CN=foo,OU=Sales,DC=SomeCorp,DC=com" and they won't conflict.

I am not sure I see why the current OID scheme is any worse than what you
are proposing.  In the Directory, we tend to have entries for "real"
objects and they have a directory name.  Object Class definitions have OIDs
and they are also understood by the existing X.500 implementations.

I also do not like the name forms you are proposing.  Tying DNs to DNS
names imposes some rather severe restrictions on the directory names.  For
one, I do not necessarily want people to know which server I use, and my
mother does not use a server at all, but I would like to be able to find
her phone number in the Directory (since my memory has been known to be
tattered).

>2. Make schema immutable, but subclassing and auxiliary classing more
>flexible. Then the sales and engineering departments can have their own
>classes, while the fact that there is a class in common won't get lost.

I think that is the intent.  Being able to understand a subset of the
information (as a client) even though the complete schema is not known is
certainly desirable to me.  Using Inheritance and Auxiliary Object Classes
together with a prudent selection of standard Structural Object Classes
will ensure that.

Cheers,                    ....Erik.
Erik Skovgaard
GeoTrain Corp.