Re: ldap v2/v3 interoperability

Hi,

Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> At 12:39 26.08.98 -0400, Christopher Oliva wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >For ldap v2 clients interoperating with ldap v2/v3 servers, how is character
> >set translation to be handled? In the case where an entry containing Unicode
> >characters (created by a v3 operation) matches a query from a v2 client,
> >what happens if the Unicode character cannot be translated to T.61? There
> >are several possibilities:
> >
> >1) server returns an error (which error?)
> >2) server returns the Unicode values encoded in some way (what encoding?)
> >3) server returns partial results terminated with an error/warning (what
> >error?)
>
> don't see any answers to this....
>
> generally, moving stuff between charsets is painful, and made even more
> painful by the disasters in LDAPv2 where some of the leading software vendors
> decided not to follow the spec, but to do two different non-standard things...
>
> The usual strategy is:
>
> - Translate what you can (and make the target charset configurable)
> - Put in some kind of marker for the rest
> - Pray that the customer is satsified

I am not sure if these rules are precise enough for implementors.

> (It's actually possible to encode an incredible amount of stuff in T.61,
> including Greek, Chinese and Hebrew - the problem is that most implementations
> don't have a snowball's chance of presenting it decently.)
>
> Group: Is there a need for an "ldap v2/v3 coexistence document",

Definitely, there is a need for this kind of document, which should not
only handle character set problems, but all other problems too .
It would first allow to clearly show where are the problems,
and could set some rules defining a correct behaviour .

For instance, do V2 servers or clients using UTF8 or V3 server sending
referrals during a V2 session behave correctly?

By the way the Read-Only and Read-Write profiles of The Open Group
handle some of these problems. These draft profiles were already
discussed, but have unfortunately not yet been updated.

>or are
> we just hoping that LDAPv2 will die quietly?

V2 will certain coexist some time with V3.

>                 Harald A

Patrick Fantou
Patrick Fantou                                 Tel: +49 89 636 41203
Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG         Fax: +49 89 636 45860
SNI ITN COM
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6, D-81739 Munich, Germany
e-mail: Patrick.Fantou@mch.sni.de