Re: ldap v2/v3 interoperability

Hi Patrick !

At 14:32 1998-09-15 +0200, Patrick Fantou wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>>
>> Group: Is there a need for an "ldap v2/v3 coexistence document",
>
>Definitely, there is a need for this kind of document, which should not
>only handle character set problems, but all other problems too .
>It would first allow to clearly show where are the problems,
>and could set some rules defining a correct behaviour .

Actually, we discussed putting such a document on the charter for LSD but
since
the interest was very low we didn't.

I haven't changed my mind since that discussion, I still think that there
is a need for
a coexistence document, the problem is to find the people who can do it.

Any takers ?

To emphasize Haralds point about character sets and real world
implementations;
in the Tisdag project I have found myself forced to add a code segment to the
ldapserver that tries to figure out what characterset a v2 client uses and
expects
to get the answer in. Clearly this is not actually doable only a educated
guess
can be attempted.

-- Roland