Re: LDAPv2 with draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-01

Hi,

Jochen Keutel wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> >Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> >
> >> Anyway, general and safe translation between T.61 (in LDAPv2) and
> >> UTF-8
> >> is impossible because the client may not know the attribute types of
> >> all
> >> the attributes, and binary attributes should not be translated.
> >
> >Did anyone actually use T.61 ?
>
>   we had to use something more than IA5 (with LDAP V2) because we are in Germany.
> There was the choice of using either latin1 (ISO8859-1) or T.61; the LDAP V2 servers I'm aware of supported at least one of these character sets. We usually used latin1.

I think it is not easy and perhaps not the best choice to fix this problems inthe C-API. I think a LDAP-server which supports V2 and V3 should be
able to return different Codesets on a V2 connection. (by configuration)

Helmut

> Bye,
>         Jochen.

begin:          vcard
fn:             Helmut  Volpers
n:              Volpers;Helmut
adr:            Otto-Hahn-Ring 6;;;Munich;;81730;Germany
email;internet: Helmut.Volpers@mch.sni.de
title:          Directory Server Architect
tel;work:       +49-89-63646713
tel;fax:        +49-89-63645860
tel;home:       +49-89-1576588
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0