Re: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call

> Therefore, such implementations MUST support some secure form of
> authentication. Two such examples are CRAM-MD5 and certificates.

While I understand the sentiment, this statement is not strong enough
to ensure that different implementations will interoperate when vendors
pick different forms.  Therefore clauses (2) and (3) are distinct:
(2) gives the minimum interoperability without passwords-in-the-clear
guarantee, and (3) describes how Start TLS can be used for providing
additional robust services with or without passwords.

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International, Inc.