Re: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call

Tim,

I think that we both agree that making an X.509 mechanism
mandatory is the wrong approach (at least in 1998).

While there are benefits to having a single mandatory
mechanism, given the current situation with LDAP, forcing
a mandatory implementation of a mechanism which is totally
inadequate for many deployments is a nonsense.

We should focus on GOOD ENGINEERING.   I think that John
Stassner's approach is sound.  When we decide what is right
we should sell this to the IESG.   The success of the IETF
is based on good engineering, and not on following
procedures (such as so called "IESG Constraints").

Steve