Re: [Models] An attribute value should be equal to self

Kurt,

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 12:20 AM 3/10/2005, Steven Legg wrote:

Hallvard,

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Steven Legg <steven.legg@eb2bcom.com>

I will have to review that discussion yet again soon...

It was a short thread:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200411/msg00190.html

Ah, thanks. Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:

At 05:20 PM 3/7/2005, Steven Legg wrote:

I dislike it too. I would prefer that LDAPprep removes troublesome
characters instead of failing.

I'm not sure that is right; it might be better to translate them to some otherwise unused character or leave them alone or something.

You're right. Removing the troublesome characters means that a string with "garbage" will match a string without "garbage". I'd suggest mapping to something like the replacement character rather than leaving the characters alone for the reason that two distinct bad sequences might one day be made equivalent, which would then present a problem if an attribute already has both as values.

I don't see any value in mapping troublesome characters,
presently prohibited, to a character which itself remains
prohibited.

I'm saying that none of the characters should be prohibited, at least as far as matching rules are concerned.

> If instead, you meant to map the troublesome
charactes to some character which is not prohibited, then
I think this be problematic for the reason you note,
string+garbage would be equivalent to string.

Also, I note, that even if there were no "prohibited" characters,
LDAPprep can still suffer failures.  For instance, Unicode
normalization failures, unassigned Code point failures, etc..

By "troublesome characters" I meant all these sorts of things.

Regards,
Steven

Or let
EQUALITY match use a fallback which does not do LDAPprep if LDAPprep
fails, like Rici suggested.

That's fine for equality matching but could dramatically change the collation order for ordering matches. If two values are the same except for some final bad characters then it is desirable for them to still be close in the collation order.

Concur.

Regards,
Steven