Re: [Models] An attribute value should be equal to self

At 16 Feb 2005, Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>I suggest adding the following statement to section 2.2 of
>[Models] (just before its last paragraph):
>
>   Additionally, no attribute is to have a value which is not
>   equivalent to itself.  For example, the 'givenName' attribute
>   cannot have as a value a directory string which includes the
>   REPLACEMENT CHARACTER (U+FFFD) code point as matching involving
>   that directory string is Undefined per this
>   attribute's equality matching rule.

I really dislike to be unable to store any valid UTF-8 string in a
Directory String, though I realize we have problems either way.  I
will have to review that discussion yet again soon...  I don't remember
if X.500 has restrictions like this, or anything like stringprep?