Re: [Models] An attribute value should be equal to self

Hallvard,

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

At 16 Feb 2005, Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:

I suggest adding the following statement to section 2.2 of
[Models] (just before its last paragraph):

 Additionally, no attribute is to have a value which is not
 equivalent to itself.  For example, the 'givenName' attribute
 cannot have as a value a directory string which includes the
 REPLACEMENT CHARACTER (U+FFFD) code point as matching involving
 that directory string is Undefined per this
 attribute's equality matching rule.

I really dislike to be unable to store any valid UTF-8 string in a
Directory String, though I realize we have problems either way.

I dislike it too. I would prefer that LDAPprep removes troublesome characters instead of failing.

> I will have to review that discussion yet again soon...

It was a short thread:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200411/msg00190.html

> I don't remember
if X.500 has restrictions like this, or anything like stringprep?

No and not yet.

Regards,
Steven