subjectAltName vs. CN in certificates

This reminds me:

Do implementations tend to obey this SHOULD (which is copied from
RFC 2830)?

> 3.1.6. Server Identity Check
>     - If a subjectAltName extension of type dNSName is present in the
>       certificate, it SHOULD be used as the source of the server's
>       identity.

I've seen several mentions of a server accepting a host name
matching the CN even though a different subjectAltName is present.
If that is common, maybe the SHOULD above should be loosened to
bless current practice - but probably not to say "SHOULD check
both CN and subjectAltName".