Re: [Models] An attribute value should be equal to self

Kurt,

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 05:20 PM 3/7/2005, Steven Legg wrote:

I dislike it too. I would prefer that LDAPprep removes troublesome characters instead of failing.

It is not clear to me that X.500 requires for every equality
matching rule R and every value X of the applicable attribute
value syntax that:
        R( X, X ) == TRUE

In absence of a guarantee that R( X, X) is always TRUE,
the [Models] statement in necessary.

It is only necessary in the case of the string matching rules because LDAPprep can fail. If LDAPprep didn't fail then R(X, X) = TRUE would always be trivially satisfied. No test would be required.

BTW, in the case where matching is not undefined, the X.500 requirement for
transitivity, i.e. a=b and b=c then a=c, and commutativity, i.e. a=b then b=a,
guarantees a=a.

If b=c then c=b, which means a=b and c=b implies a=c. If c is identical to a then
we have a=a.

Regards,
Steven

Kurt