Re: Specifying non-tcp transports referrals

I assumed it was a bad assumption because as I looked closer at
draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-03.txt, I found nothing to indicate that the
LDAPURL is to be used for any particular transport. From what I can
tell, it is only a defacto standard that this is always used for
TCP/IP.

Eric A. Hall wrote:
> on 6/24/2003 1:12 PM Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>

>>I believe it's assumed that the address in an LDAP URL
>>(draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-03.txt) points to an LDAP server capable of
>>communicating over TCP/IP. This is probably a bad assumption.

Why is that a bad assumption? If and when someone wants to use URLs
that
support LDAP over a non-TCP transport, they can define an LDAP URL
extension or a new URL scheme (as both Jim and Eric suggested). I do
not
think the LDAPBis documents need to say much if anything about this.

-Mark