RE: Attribute Name Length Bounds

The server wouldn't truncate it. It might say that it
doesn't support the attribute if it is longer than
the value it recognizes as significant for it. Or it might
reply back with some error message. Even though the
sending entity did have a resonable expectation that
it would be recognized...

And since there are not requirements in the specs
about a minimally supported attribute type name length,
replying to attribute types longer than a natively
constrained minimum with a message indicating an unsupported
attribute type is possible and could even be argued as
being compliant with the specs.

The point is that the possibility of interpreting
the specs in this way already set us up for deployment
issues related to several published schema with attribute
names on the longer side of what might have been considered
typical a few years ago.

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:capple@dsi-consulting.net