Re: Models: aliases

At 01:48 PM 1/30/2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>> You need to add extensibleObject, an objectClass
>> which SUPs alias and allows o,
>
>I don't like this:

Well, there's lots in LDAP/X.500 I don't like... but
this alone is not good reason to change the specification.

>I never needed to do any of this before - neither with ISODE (X.500)

In X.500, the practice (as I understand it) was to
subclass 'alias' as needed.

>nor OpenLDAP.

OpenLDAP release code doesn't verify that the AVAs of
the RDN exist in any case.  It's a bug whose fix is
coming soon.

>It seems rather heavy to force people to get their
>own OID and make new object classes just in order
>to use aliases, if extensibleObject is not supported
>on their server.

Some could publish a "Common subclasses of 'alias'"
technical specification....

>> or adjust your DIT
>> content rules to allow o in alias entries.
>
>That's not too widely supported yet either, is it?

Not in too many LDAP-only servers (at least one does)...
but, from what I gather, a number of LDAP/DAP servers
do support it.