RE: strange uniqueMemberMatch

Hallvard,

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> [Syntaxes] 5.2.21 (uniqueMemberMatch) says:
>
>    The rule evaluates to TRUE if and only if the <distinguishedName>
>    components of the assertion value and attribute value
> match according
>    to the distinguishedNameMatch rule and the <BitString> component is
>    absent from the attribute value or matches the <BitString>
> component
>    of the assertion value according to the bitStringMatch rule.
>
> Thus, assertion value cn=foo#'0101'B matches attribute value cn=foo.
> Is that intentional?

Yes, because ...
> X.520 paragraph 6.2.11 says the same thing.

The uniqueMemberMatch rule is an equality matching rule that is not
commutative, which causes problems in deciding whether attribute values
are equal or not when adding or deleting values. I've raised this with
the X.500 working group and I'm waiting to see how they resolve it.

Regards,
Steven