Quoted characters in the Substring Assertion syntax

draft-ietf-ldapbis-syntaxes-02.txt says:

> 3.32 Substring Assertion
>                                                 If a backslash or
>   asterix character is present in a production of <value>, it is
>   quoted as described in section 2.1.

May other characters be quoted?  I.e. can one put a quoted 'substrings'
value from the String Filter draft in a Substring Assertion?
"(" and ")" must be quoted in string filters, and other octets _may_ be
quoted.

If others can be quoted: this section talks about quoted _characters_.
It may be better to talk about quoted _octets_, like the string filter
draft was changed to do.  An UTF-8 character can consist of several
octets, each of which can be quoted in filters.