RE: Quoted characters in the Substring Assertion syntax

Hallvard,

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> draft-ietf-ldapbis-syntaxes-02.txt says:
>
> > 3.32 Substring Assertion
> >                                                 If a backslash or
> >   asterix character is present in a production of <value>, it is
> >   quoted as described in section 2.1.
>
> May other characters be quoted?

I've replaced descriptive text like this with explicit ABNF for the
-04 draft that makes it clear. I've taken a strict interpretation
that only "\" and "*" are escaped. Implementations are always free
to be liberal in what they accept.

> I.e. can one put a quoted
> 'substrings'
> value from the String Filter draft in a Substring Assertion?

The <substring> rule in the string representation of filters and
the Substring Assertion syntax are unrelated. However, a value of
the Substring Assertion syntax may appear as the <assertionvalue>
for the <extensible> rule in a string filter.

Regards,
Steven