Re: DN-alt issues

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

I meant: draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn causes, to the best of my knowledge, no existing implementation to become "non standard".

OK. But if I take the word "generate" to include "send on the wire" than I know of implementations that violate this statement from draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn:

  As there is no requirement for
  other names or alternative DN string representations to be recognized,
  implementations SHOULD only generate DN strings in accordance with
  Section 2 of this document.

That is, some implementations such as the Netscape Directory Server will generate (send) DN strings that use attribute type names that are not listed in the table that is in section 2.3 of the draft. These implementations just send back whatever DN was stored at the time entries were created, which is in fact what most users expect.

--
Mark Smith
Netscape Directory Product Development