Re: DN-alt issues

RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

If the "published table" had been well-established and had actually been
extended since 2252 was published, then we wouldn't be talking about
changing its nature.  But it's the lack of clarity on what the table is in
the first place that's the reason we're discussing it.  Deciding that a
table that in practice has never been extended is now by definition
non-extensible is within scope, in my opinion.

I agree, but we could also agree on a new definition for the table. Our goal is clarity and interoperability, but we also do not want to retroactively label a lot of LDAP deployments as "non standard" if we do not have to. One approach would be to say that strings may be used in DNs instead of OIDs for any attribute type that is defined in a document that is part of the LDAP technical standard. That would widen the "table" to, for example, include attribute types from http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-user-schema-02.txt.

Note that this does not pull in all of the types that the PKIX group wants to use in DNs, and that there may still be interoperability issues because most of the types in the user schema draft are categorized as SHOULD recognize while use of strings for the types listed in the small table that is currently in the DN representation draft is in my opinion mandatory (although the word MUST is not used; the actual wording is "If the AttributeType is in the following table ... then the type name string from that table is used...").

--
Mark Smith
Netscape Directory Product Development