RE: Teletex Terminal Identifierindraft-ietf-ldapbis-syntaxes-01

Kathy,

Kathy Dally wrote:
> The H-R column has already been removed from the list of syntax oid
> assignments in ....-syntaxes-02 (Annex A).  I don't see how indicating
> which syntaxes are utf8 is helpful.

It is helpful for implementors of simple clients. Every syntax whose
native encoding is known to be a UTF8 character string can have its
values displayed the same simple way.

> For example, what would be in the
> column for IA5 String?

Every IA5 string is a legal UTF8 character string, so the field would
be "Yes". All the *fully specified* syntaxes from RFC 2252 that were
marked as human-readable produce legal UTF8 character strings.

Kurt has suggested we throw out the syntax table. That's okay with me,
but there's still the question whether we want to capture the
human-readable-ness/utf8-ness of each syntax in its description.

Regards,
Steven