Re: Assertion values and ;binary

In 2251 4.1.7 (discussing AttributeValueAssertion), it says that if the
binary option is is present in the attribute description, the assertion
value is a binary encoded value. We should likely make this text
consistent with the similar text for attribute value (while preserving
the other assertion value specific text).

This same text is missing where we talk about the assertion value in a
MatchingRuleAssertion (extensibleMatch). For completeness, we could add
something there.

Jim

>>> David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk> 03/06/02 11:55AM >>>
Dear All

I have just been asked What if a Search request filter contains
attributeDescription with ;binary in it? a) is this allowed, and b)
does
it mean that the assertion syntax must be BER instead of the
"native"/"string" encoding. I could not find an answer in RFC 2251

Jim, I think text will need adding to the bis-protocol document to
cover
this situation as well.

David

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel: +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
Email: D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Research Projects: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk