Re: Equally capable referrals

This explains the intent of equally capable nicely, but my bigger question is: Who's responsibility is it to enforce the "MUSTness" of the statement? If it's the server's responsibility, I don't see how that's a reasonable requirement without the existence of a standardized set of mechanisms and semantics for server behavior in a distributed environment when dealing with the administration of referrals.

How will I be prevented from adding a referral object that points to a server that doesn't hold the base in the referral?

Jim

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> 11/06/01 04:25PM >>>
I think the sentence must be taken in consideration with the
preceding sentence.

I think the intent is fairly clear.  The server should return
a set of URLs which refer to servers which can complete the
operation.  No preference is implied by the order.  To chase,
the client needs only to contact one server.  If that server
is not available, the client can contact another.

By available, I mean that the client can establish a TCP
connect, issue a bind/starttls (as desired), and the
operation to be continued.  If the connect or preliminary
operations fail, the client can try other listed servers.
However, if the operation results in an error (other than
referral), the operation has been completed and hence the
client should not attempt to contact any of the other
servers.  If the result is a referral, then that operation
can be chased.

Kurt