Re: Equally capable referrals

At 04:01 PM 2001-11-06, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>This explains the intent of equally capable nicely, but my bigger question is: Who's responsibility is it to enforce the "MUSTness" of the statement?

Well, given the wording of this particular MUST, it appears to
be server obligation return "equally capable" URLs.  Of course,
if the server uses namedref or dnsref or some other administrative
mechanism, then it server implementation really defers this
obligation to the deployer / administrator.

I think MUST and "equally capable" are a bit strong.
The key is that there is no preferred order and regardless of
which one service is contacted, that service should be
capable of furthering the operation towards completion.
Note the distinction between "completing the operation"
as opposed to "furthering the operation towards completion".
One must allowed the referred to server to return a referral.