Component Matching Rules

Hi All!

In RFC 2252, the integerFirstComponentMatch and
objectIdentifierFirstComponentMatch matching rules are limited to
matching subschema attributes.  Two questions:

	1.  Why limited to subschema attributes?
	    In X.500, they are general (and the object identifiers mean the
rules can
	    be applied in general).  I would not like to see LDAPv3 add a
separate
	    matching rule for non-subschema attributes later.  Also, I am
concerned about
	    the difference in semantics between LDAPv3 and X.500.

	2.  Why isn't the directoryStringFirstComponentMatch in LDAP?
	    Although none of the attributes specified for LDAPv3 have it as a
matching
	    rule, it is standardized in X.500.  It seems to me that there has
to be a
	    viable set of standardized tools in LDAPv3, in order to prevent
schema that
	    have incompatible elements for similar/identical purposes.  This
does mean
	    interoperability testing, but that must be done for everything that
LDAPv3
	    defines in its "toolbox".

Comments?  Answers?

Thanks,
Kathy Dally
begin:vcard
n:Dally;Kathy
tel;fax:(703) 883-7142
tel;work:(703) 883-6058
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:MITRE Corp.;Network and Communications Engineering
adr:;;1820 Dolley Madison Blvd., W650;McLean;VA;22102;U.S.A.
version:2.1
email;internet:kdally@mitre.org
title:Senior Technical Staff
x-mozilla-cpt:;-31296