RE: Syntax Survey Version 2

Kurt,

> Well, it's not clear photo doesn't have syntax "binary".
> IMO, it has syntax 'Fax' (1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.23)
> [which is actually described in RFC 2252 and RFC 1274].

I agree with you that the syntax for the photo attribute is Fax.

> However, the clarified "binary" syntax specification may
> impact RFC 2798 as it describes two attributes of syntax
> binary.

The Binary syntax seems to be used in RFC 2798 as a catch-all
for attributes with a definite ASN.1 syntax but no LDAP string
encoding. Used in this way, labelling an attribute definition
with the Binary syntax is really only saying that the attribute
has to be requested and returned using the ;binary attribute option.
It otherwise doesn't convey any useful information about the
syntax. Clients just have to know what the attributes are used for.

I think RFC 2798 should have defined two new LDAP
syntaxes instead of using the Binary syntax.

Regards,
Steven