RE: Syntax Survey Version 2

At 11:53 AM 3/1/01 +1100, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>The other issue I thought this touched on was the binary syntax itself.
>There is some thought that binary syntax shouldn't be supported.

I haven't heard anyone voice such opinions on this list.  I've
only think we've discussed possible clarifications to the
binary syntax specification, not its removal.

>What are the implications for syntaxes like photo?

Well, it's not clear photo doesn't have syntax "binary".
IMO, it has syntax 'Fax' (1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.23)
[which is actually described in RFC 2252 and RFC 1274].

However, the clarified "binary" syntax specification may
impact RFC 2798 as it describes two attributes of syntax
binary.  The impact of any clarification upon existing
implementations is clearly one of the factors which should
be considered by LDAPbis.

Kurt