From: Mark Smith [mailto:mcs@netscape.com]
Sent: Thursday, 1 March 2001 1:29
To: Ramsay, Ron
Cc: steven.legg@adacel.com.au; ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: Syntax Survey Version 2

"Ramsay, Ron" wrote:

> Steven,
>
> I note that inetOrgPerson contains the attribute 'photo' without defining
> the syntax. A look at RFC 1274 reveals that it is actually binary. While
the
> COSINE document is quite old, RFC 2798 is prolonging its life. I'm
wondering
> if it is now necessary to define the syntax for 'photo'? I would think
that
> either
> a. inetOrgPerson is supported by the LDAP specification and the syntax of
> 'photo' is defined in that specification, or
> b. inetOrgPerson is not supported and RFC 2798 should define the syntax.

I vote for choice "b."  RFC 2798 is an Informational RFC and as part of
the LDAPBIS work we are not obligated to do any extra work to support
inetOrgPerson.  I doubt photo is used much, if at all, in deployed
directories and I for one would not like to encourage its use by adding
it to a standards track RFC.

-Mark Smith
 Netscape Communications Corp.    Got inetOrgPerson?  Get it!