From: openldap-technical-bounces@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:openldap-technical-bounces@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Brandon Hume
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:58 AM
To: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: ldapd vs. slapd

  On 04/16/12 11:02 PM, Richards, Toby wrote:
> For those of you wondering, I'm running OpenBSD 5.0.
openldap-server-2.4.25p0.tgz (depends on: openldap-client-2.4.25.tgz
(depends on cyrus-sasl-2.1.23p7-ldap.tgz)). Typing "ldapd" gets the
appropriate tcp/ip ports responding. Typing "/etc/rc.d/slapd start" does
something, but doesn't give me responses on 349 or 636.

"ldapd" is a service that comes with OpenBSD, and it definitely is not
OpenLDAP.  It will start and sit on the same ports, however, making it
impossible for you to start slapd.

So don't start ldapd.  Kill it if it's already running, then you might be
able to start OpenLDAP.

Also, this might have been a typo, but the non-SSL port for LDAP is 389/tcp,
not 349.