ldapd vs. slapd

I've been attempting to get an OpenLDAP server running all day, and I've
been reading official documentation, tutorials, and anything else relevant
on Google. I have some questions:

1. What is the difference between ldapd & slapd (and commands such as
ldapadd & slapdadd)? Slapd doesn't seem to respond on LDAP ports, but ldapd
does.

2. When using commands & configuring ldap.conf, can I use an IP address
instead of an FQDN for the host URI?

3. Do self-signed certificates break ldapadd?

4. I'm running with an SSL certificate, but no TLS. I commonly get the error
"Confidentiality Required." The -Z option is for TLS. How do I tell ldapadd
that I'm using SSL only? I tried with -Hldaps://hostname:636, but then I get
"ldap_sasl_bind(SIMPLE): Can't connect to LDAP server" (even if I use the -x
option). I know that the ldap server is running because when ldapd is
running, I can connect with external tools such as jxplorer or ldap-at (but
trying to make changes to my database will crash both of those utilities).

Respectfully Submitted,
R. Toby Richards
Network Administrator
Superior Court of California
In and For the County of San Luis Obispo
(805) 781-4150