Re: Is putting slapd into read-only mode sufficient for backups?

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 02:36:20PM -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
> Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> >  On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:54:27 -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount
> >  <quanah@zimbra.com>  wrote:
> >
> >>The only officially supported backup method with OpenLDAP is slapcat.
> >>Everything else, you do at your own risk.
> >
> >  The admin guide disagrees with you.  Chapter 19 describes incremental
> >  backup by copying first the entire DB, then backing up further DB logs.

I do know that using the db_* utilities are only applicable to the
BDB backend. As far as I know, it's the most mature of the backends
to use with 2.3.43.  (If I'm wrong in that, do let me know.)

I recognize, also, that essentially all of the files in the directory
are neccessary for safe backups.  (I haven't explored any of suggested
hot-backup techniques yet, and LDIF imports are currently too
time-consuming, so I'm for now stuck with the low-tech backup method
of 'tar'. :)

A core element of my question is: is putting slapd into read-only
mode via the config database sufficient for me to process that
directory's contents?

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large